Thursday, March 18, 2010

Making Valances

After I retired from USAA, and we moved from Tampa to the country, I thought I would get into all the homemaker type things, like sewing, cooking, gardening, canning, etc.   I bought a new sewing machine, thinking I might like to take up sewing again.  I used to sew a lot of my clothes when I was in high school, and I enjoyed it.

Once we got here, I never seemed to get around to doing any sewing.  I had been needing some new valances for my kitchen windows, but  I hadn’t been able to find any I liked. I went to a few fabric stores and there were so many choices it would overwhelm me within about 5 minutes.

I went to Wal-Mart on Tuesday and happened to find some fabric I thought would work.  I had no idea how much I would need so I bought what I thought was extra. It turned out to be just exactly enough!

For someone who used to sew her own clothes, I should have been able to whip out a few valances without any problems….wrong!  I’m ashamed to admit, but I had to Google it!  I don’t know if it’s old age, or just I don’t have any confidence in myself, but I Googled how to make valances!

Anyway, I got them made, and they turned out nice, and I am happy with the fabric.

I decided today, before I put the sewing machine away, I will fix all my King size pillow cases and make them fit my regular sized pillows!  Another job, I have put off, but I won’t have to Google that!

0 comments: