Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Two Foxes

I took a walk over to the pasture last night before it got dark.  It was cool and nice out so I wandered around a little, while Al was in the shower. 

For the first time in quite a while, I saw both foxes.  We had only been seeing one of them lately and were concerned that something had happened. When I went out I could make out 2 sets of ears, pointing right in my direction.  When they see you they really keep their eyes on you.  I didn't have my camera so I couldn't zoom in to get a better look, but there were definitely 2 foxes.  Yea!  It really made my night and I couldn't wait to go in and tell Al.  

One of our Bluebird nest boxes is due to hatch, possibly over due.  There have been 5 eggs in it for a while now and we've been checking every day to see if anybody hatched.  Well yesterday, Al found the 6th egg!  We don't know what that means.  We've never seen that many eggs and why would it be laid after so much time.  Our theory is that for whatever reason, the other eggs aren't going to hatch and mama is starting a new nest.  If we find 7 eggs today, we'll know for sure.  I don't know what to do, but I guess I'll do nothing.  Last year that box had 4 eggs and only one hatched.  I guess birds have fertility problems too?

6 comments:

Happytrails said... [Reply to comment]

Yay!! I am so glad you found both foxes!! It's funny, I've been worried about them too. Glad they are present and accounted for.

That is strange about the bluebirds. Let us know what happens. Our little wren laid 3 eggs in my hanging basket and I think she has abandoned the nest. Haven't seen her for quite awhile.
That disappoints me.
You take care and enjoy your week. I think our heat is returning. :(

Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

Prettypics123 said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds wonderful. Would love to see a picture of those little eggs! The Camp Host Housewife and Photographer

Karen and Al said... [Reply to comment]

Levonne,

Check out the post of 4-15-2010. You'll see those Bluebird eggs along with a very newly hatched Bluebird.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said... [Reply to comment]

Whoo Hooo!! I've been worried about those foxes!! So glad you spotted them. I wouldn't complain if you were able to get a picture of them :)

Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com

Merikay said... [Reply to comment]

So glad you saw both fox. Are they a mated pair? Do you think they will have kits?

Karen and Al said... [Reply to comment]

Nellie, there are pictures of both of the foxes a week or two ago.

Merikay, I don't know if they are a pair or a mother and her baby. One of them had extremely large ears and was lighter in color, so I thought it may have been a youngster.