Thursday, July 22, 2010

Squeaky Made the Front Page!

We knew Squeaky would have her picture in the paper this week, but we didn't think she would make the front page!

It's a pretty good picture of her, but it didn't scan well being on thin newsprint.




Right before this picture was taken she had a thermometer up her butt, so this was a big improvement!  I told the photographer to make sure he got a flattering shot of her and he thought I was serious and really worked at getting a good one of both of them.

Today, it was 98 degrees, so we didn't do much outside today.  It has cooled down now (to 95) so Al is out mowing the pasture.  The rest of the yard is mowed so we're trying to get the pasture done, but it's a big chore!  We don't mow it but about once a month and it had gotten pretty high since I last mowed early in June.  I was mowing some grass that was at least 18 inches high and I saw some movement.  I always worry about snakes but also about small animals, like rabbits.  I had just scared a baby bunny in the front yard and so I was really going slow to give anything a chance to run away.  Once I saw the movement, I stopped and kind of watched the movement through the grass until it emerged to a clear area.  It was a tiny, tiny brown thing and I believe it was a baby rabbit.  I was so scared that I may have run over it's little rabbit den.  I slowly got out of there and made a note of where I was so that I wouldn't go back there for a while.  The grass will just have to stay high until whatever it was grows up and moves.  We have a few baby bunnies in the yard and one actually lives over by one of our sheds.  He's pretty safe there, so we are careful not to scare him and we have been know to throw a few veggies out there. :)

The first year we were here we had a bunch of baby Armadillo's.  They were really very cute, but they grow up to be big Armadillos and dig up your yard and gardens. 

I just found two naked baby Bluebirds in one of the nest boxes.  They are just as bald as can be, but are pretty active.  I would have taken a picture, but it's thundering, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

6 comments:

Happytrails said... [Reply to comment]

Well now isn't Squeaky famous?? She is so cute!! It is a really good picture of her and the Vet. By the way, that Vet looks soooo young!! Am I getting old or what?

You are such a good landlord to all of the animals on your land. They are very lucky to be where they are and have you all to look after them. :)
Be sure to get a pic of those baby bluebird for me whenever you can.

Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said... [Reply to comment]

Way to go Squeaky! She's famous now :) You may need to get the markers and paper ready for autographs...pawgraphs?? hehee!

Armadillos freak me out! We once had one knock on our back door (It was a french door so I knew not to open it!) LOL!

Nellie

Merikay said... [Reply to comment]

My Mamma Doe came quite close to where I was working today and lay down for a nap. The twins stayed close.

I have never seen rabbits here. I know they live here because some of my friends who have gardens complain.

cruzin2some said... [Reply to comment]

Good Pic. We have a cat named Squeaky too.

Stay Safe

Karen and Al said... [Reply to comment]

Mike and Gerri,
Yes, our critters are well taken care of and I hope we can find a buyer that loves animals as much as we do.

You're right the vet is young. Just graduated last May. I specifically asked for another vet and ended up with her anyway. I was a little irritated. I just kept asking her to check different things. I figured it was going to cost a fortune so I wanted her to get a good physical. I don't take them often so when I go, I want a good exam.

I got a pix of the baby Bluebirds..will post later. It looks like we have 3 now. (in that box, more in the other one)

Merikay,
You have twin fawns? How cute! Have you gotten any pictures? Did I miss a blog post?

Cruzin2some
Did you name your cat Squeaky because she talks a lot? That's how our Squeaky got her name.

Margie and Roger said... [Reply to comment]

Squeaky looks adorable - guess she was happy she didn't have that thermometer in anymore.

Love the bluebird photos - I always heard you shouldn't go near a bird nest or the mama birds would leave and the baby birds would die. Guess that was an old wives tale.