Sunday, September 19, 2010

Snakes and Armadillo's

Al got home from Tampa Friday night, tired and glad to be home.  I made him help me with the garage sale Saturday morning but his heart wasn't in it, so we closed up shop early, did some shopping, then came home for a nice long nap!  Hey, he was tired and I needed to keep him company!

About 7pm last night, I finally decided to get outside and start mowing.  I had to wait until then for the temperature to fall below 90!  Once I got started, it was nice with the breeze hitting me.  I ended up getting the entire main front yard done.  Of course there is still the "front front", the "Bluebirdy meadow" front, the in the woods front, and the side front, but the "main" front was done!  I felt like I had accomplished something.  I didn't do any mowing while Al was gone, so I'm behind!

While mowing, I kept thinking about what we were told about the Rattle Snakes being on the move, as I sit on the rider with flip flops on!  I am waiting for one to jump up at me!  It was getting pretty dark by the time I was finishing up and I actually came across a snake.  It was a small one, and I don't know what kind it was.  I almost ran over him, twice.  I think it may have been the same one (or a sibling of) the one Al saw earlier in the day.  The one I saw ended up going towards the woods, so that is okay. The one Al saw was close to the house, so that's not okay!

We have also been seeing evidence of an Armadillo that is tearing up the yard.


This was a borrowed picture, but this is what we're dealing with.  They dig holes in the ground, looking for insects.  We think one has been burrowing a hole under one of our sheds.  I guess he's looking for a place to spend the winter.  I sure found a lot of freshly dug holes in the yard though.

Today is football day (for Al) this afternoon, more mowing and then we're going to start watching season 3 of Dexter.  We just got season 4 as well, so we have a lot to catch up on.  If you haven't watched the Dexter series its really a terrific show.  The story line is about a guy who is a serial killer, but he only kills the really bad people, but there is a twist!

8 comments:

heyduke50 said... [Reply to comment]

yep we had one tearing up our yard this year and I finally located his burrow and everyday I filled it with water... after three days he relocated down the road and is now digging in their yard :)

Sam&Donna Weibel said... [Reply to comment]

I learned my lesson when I got bit chain sawing in running shoes, Now when I'm doing any yard work I take a minute to put on mt high top work shoes steel toe and all, I also remember dropping the deck on my toe a couple years ago, I know what a clutz.If your john Deere is like mine it would take a bit of a leap to reach your ankle though. Have fun. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

pidge said... [Reply to comment]

I love football too. My big star, Peyton Manning, has to play his brother tonight. I can't wait.

I know snakes kill a lot vermon, but I still think they are creepy. Be careful around them.

Merikay said... [Reply to comment]

I never watched Dexter, but I really enjoyed "Six Feet Under" from Net Flix. Same actor.

I bet you are looking forward to the day you mow the last lawn!

Margie and Roger said... [Reply to comment]

Yuck! I hate those armadillos. They are soooo ugly. We have several of them roaming around our RV Park. I didn't know that putting water down the hole would make them move on.

Karen and Al said... [Reply to comment]

Heyduke,
We'll have to try the water solution. thanks

Merikay,

I never knew 6 feet under had the same actor as Dexter, but I ordered it from Netflix...it sounds interesting. You should try Dexter...it's very good.

Actually I enjoy mowing the lawn and will miss it! It's fun on the big rider.

Margie,

I think Armadillos are kind of interesting looking and not ugly at all.

Wayne and Roberta said... [Reply to comment]

Snakes and Armadillo's - think I will stay in the city....lol. Be careful!

Margie M. said... [Reply to comment]

Snakes....oh, my gravy, I hate snakes!